Monday, November 5, 2007

Day Nine

JEFFREY MARX

1:03am
- It's not living in New York that can make a person crazy. It's the people who live here. Today, one of my best friends, Eric, and I decided that everyone is crazy. That makes me feel better. Do crazy people know they are going crazy? I don't think so. I am safe. I finally took a giant crap and feel better. For dinner, I had veggie pizza on a whole wheat crust (no cheese) and a ton of water. Veggies are my new favorite food. They tasted sooo good. Like there was a party in my tummy!



5:32pm - Great energy today. I feel on track, digestively speaking. I would expand more, but will keep my section on the cleanse blog on topic. Congrats to Beth and Brian who are about to be on Day 10! I'm working out of the office this week, so maybe I'll update and maybe I won't. Peace!

5:34pm - One last thing... The Cleanse hasn't been about the food for me. I think it means different things to different people. So, to say 'I effectively ended the cleanse the second you started eating all that stupid food' doesn't really have bearing on what I learned (and am trying to live) from The Cleanse. I can't wait to watch 'Prison Break' tonight!

BETA FIPPEL

10:50am - For the past couple of days, I've woken up with some pretty wicked heartburn. I guess that's to be expected when one is consuming so much citric acid, right? I'm hoping that now that I'm back to hand-squeezing the lemons, thereby basically eliminating the pulp, I can get rid of the 'burn. I'm not sure if the addition of pulp is what's been causing it. We'll see. I know you're on the edge of your seat right now, so I'll let you know first thing tomorrow. Also, my sense of smell is definitely heightened. Which isn't a good thing in New York. Especially at Union Square. Is it just me or does every other square foot in Union Square smell like vomit??

1:50pm - I just got a raise! I think it's the Cleanse.

BRIAN KENNEDY

9:01am - As Beta posted last night, I think these last two days of the cleanse are going to be pretty easy. At this point it's all routine. The salt water flushes are no biggie, I can handle being around food and just appreciating it for the smell, and I've even lost interest in examining my poop. I really do feel great, like I have a whole new attitude on life. And soon, I hope to be dressing like this

11:38am - Okay, I know I just posted that I have grown tired of looking at my poop… but then something exciting happened! As per usual, liquid was flowing out of my very tired a-hole, when all of the sudden, I felt something solid squeeze past. Glory, glory, it was a tini tiny turdlette! I was pretty excited. Granted, it was no bigger than a rasinette, but still, this is the first time my butt has passed something solid since Day Two. I'm not really sure what it could be since I haven't eaten anything in over 200 hours. My only thought is that perhaps it's the accumulation of 8 days worth of lemon and lime pulp. Whatever it is, I'll take it!

7:50pm - As good as I feel, I would be lying if I didn't say that I am very much looking forward for this cleanse to be over. Although I am not at all hungry, I am still missing food. A lot. One of the most important things that this cleanse has revealed to me, is how codependent my mood is on food. I can't tell you how many time I was bored/stressed/irritated at work this last week and found myself saying, "God, if I could just run across the street to the deli and get a snack like I usually do, I would feel SO MUCH BETTER right now." But instead of doing so, I had to push though whatever emotion was bothering me, or wait until it passed. I'd like to think that post-cleanse I will be able to continue to face my moodiness without resorting to food, but honestly, I just don't see that happening. Hopefully, the least I can do is make a conscious effort to change what types of foods I am using to comfort myself with. One of my favorite things to snack on is raw nuts. (Am I the only one who giggled at that?) But recently, pre-cleanse, I started sliding down that slippery junk food slope. Cool Ranch Doritos, cookies, muffins, scones, Reese's Pieces, Peanut M&M's, Chipwiches!. I am hoping that the completion of this cleanse will at least help me to curb such naughty cravings. The nuts are probably okay to stay. But on top of that I'd like to try and add a lot more fruits and veggies. Mmmm, my mouth is starting to water just thinking about it!

On a related codependency note, I can't believe that I have gone 9 days without any alcohol! Seriously, when do I get my first sobriety chip? I can't remember that last time that I abstained from liquor for this long. It had to have been before I started drinking. So that would be... 4th grade? (J/K I didn't start drinking until college. Settle down you prudes!) But seriously, I am an alcoholic. Sadly, it didn't take the cleanse to teach me that. I already knew.

5 comments:

craitzy said...

Jeffrey,

I know the argument for you to continue posting on the master cleanse blog is that all forthcoming food related incidents are related to the cleanse. But, you effectively ended the cleanse the second you started eating all that stupid food. A reeses cup? Tequila? Whiskey? Sounds like the opposite of a cleanse to me. Maybe you should start posting in an anti-cleanse blog?

geoff hmarks said...

I have an anti-craitzy blog ready to launch!

Didn't finish the Reese's, the tequila was bought for me without knowledge of my cleanse and I certainly wasn't going to be rude to Londoners. You got me on the whiskey.

Today's meals?

Non-fat blueberry yogurt and a banana for breakfast. Salad with sliced chicken for lunch. Trader Joe's veggies and rice for dinner. Water all day. No snacks between. I was celebrating life and friendship this weekend.

I would stop posting on the blog, but I have been told by many fans to continue. I think anything relevant to the story arch of my journey is totally relevant. It can't be all about poop. Unless that's what you're into. Ew.

Oh and if I took your comment out of context and you were trying to be funny...let's leave the humor to the struggling, semi-professionals. It doesn't translate.

craitzy said...

I see I struck a nerve. I hope this won't be problematic when we are both bridesmaids in Beta's wedding.

geoff hmarks said...

Now that's comedy!

Dan Friedman said...

Everybody, cool your jets.